Always have a qualified electrician do all electrical work and please call an expert if you have any questions or before beginning any kind of electrical maintenance.
We at Kimbro Air have a few guidelines when it comes to electrical safety.
Indoor Electrical Safety
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets – have additional outlets installed to minimize the use of extension cords.
- Avoid overloading outlets, plug in only one appliance per outlet
- Repair or replace damaged electrical cords
- Install taper resistant outlets
- Install ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in all appropriate rooms
- Install Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) in all appropriate places
Outdoor Electrical Safety
- Use only power tools that are marked for outdoor use
- Store electrical tools indoors
- Keep tools away from children
- Keep the area around your electric meter and electric tools clear
- Replace any damaged chords
- Use only extension cords that are marked for outdoor use
- Have a professional tree-trimming service inspect the trees in your yard for electrical hazards
Downed Wire Electrical Safety according to OSHA.gov (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
- Assume all wires are live and energized with lethal voltage
- Never assume a wire is safe to touch
- Never touch a fallen power line
- Call the electric company right away
- Stay at least 10 feet away from over head wires
“If an overhead wire falls across your vehicle while you are driving, stay inside the vehicle and continue to drive away from the line. If the engine stalls, do not leave your vehicle. Warn people not to touch the vehicle or the wire. Call or ask someone to call the local electric utility company and emergency services.”
Electrical Safety. (n.d.). Retrieved October 8, 2015, from https://www.osha.gov/Publications/electrical_safety.html
Kimbro Air proudly provides HVAC service to Hendersonville, Nashville, Bellevue, Bordeaux, Brentwood, Franklin, Gallatin, Goodlettsville, Hermitage, Madison, Mt. Juliet, White House and the surrounding communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 615-824-8098, or request service online today.